How to set up your home on a budget
There are many good places to find cheap furniture, appliances and other household items in Britain. These are some ideas:
- Many charity shops (where people donate unwanted items) have special furniture shops, including Sue Ryder, Oxfam and the Red Cross.
- Look online for local second-hand furniture shops and auction houses
- Some council waste disposal sites have a shop that sells items too good to throw away. Look on your local council website for details.
- For specific items, try Ebay, Gumtree, Preloved, or Oxfam.
- For small items, try car boot sales, jumble sales and table top sales
- Sometimes people give things away for free. Try looking for local Facebook groups, or joining your local Freegle group or Freecycle group. You send a message if there is something you like and sometimes you are the lucky person who is chosen! You will have to collect from the person’s home.
- You can hire some appliances (washing machines, fridges etc) instead of buying them. Search online for places near you.
Image: Morgan Vander Hart/Unsplash