How to get rid of something without throwing it away
Sometimes you want to get rid of something, but simply throwing it away seems a waste. If the item is still usable or in good condition, it might be able to benefit someone else. You can either sell it or find somewhere to give it to.
A car boot sale (pictured) can be a good way to find a new home for lots of different things. Don’t expect to get much money for each item, but it will stop the items going to landfill.
You can also give your items away. Here are ideas of places to take them:
- Building materials: The DIY store called B&Q takes some DIY materials for reuse by community groups. Ask in your local B&Q store for details.
- Paint: Offer it on a local group message board (see below)
- Furniture & large electrical items: many charities have special furniture shops that help them raise money. Here are some ideas: Sue Ryder, Oxfam, Red Cross.
- Clothing and shoes: You could donate to a charity shop. Many car parks also have a place to recycle clothing and shoes that can still be worn.
- Small electrical items: Some charity shops will take small electrical items.
- Books/toys: You could donate to a charity shop or put them on a local group message board (see below)
- Other things: Try a local group message board, such as Facebook, Freegle, or Freecycle. The person you choose to take your item will usually collect it from your home.
Image: John Williams/Dreamstime